Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words


We have been diligently working in slums 5-6 days a week. Earlier this week we started painting the mural on the front of the kindergarten. We have gotten quite far with it this week and its turning out so cute! I will post photos when it is finished! This is Becca helping us out with a little base coat.......
This is a little girl named Linda that I met today. She was very sweet and her mom and younger sister came along with us for a while after we met them in a very large slum area. We were able to treat some open wounds on her foot and hopefully they will be healing soon.......
This man was proud of his shop and asked me to take a photo....He looks quite regal :0)
This is a big open field are where the kids run and play....it was surprising to see so much land....there is not much space in J-akarta for open fields



The kids are always asking for photos

Yes this is the middle of many many neighborhoods. Garbage everywhere. Today we walked in between slums and even worse then the bridges we have walked before was having NO bridge. The ground is covered in garbage and old clothes soaked in sewage and waste and many of the children do NOT wear shoes so their feet sink in and become covered in this. It's normal for them......



This is my teammate Juntina....this was her 25th birthday party...She's wonderful!
Nathan and one of ours translators, a hilarious guy named Hans

These are the cute kids we teach English to at the Kindergarten. This week we taught them to say "I love my family."

When we waited on the Lord the previous week for some words or strategies for our ministry times in the water slum, we felt to teach the kids practical encouraging phrases that reflect the Kingdom of God, like “I love you!” or “You look beautiful today!”or "Can I hug you?" Lo and behold, the kids got it, they took it home to the parents, and as we were leaving, a glorious chorus wafted through the walkways --- moms and dads and brothers and sisters chiming in “I love you! I love you too!” and everyone was hugging!! It was so cute. I really loved that moment and I know God did too ;0) We have been working hard and asking God everyday for strategies and ideas to reach out to the people. We have been visiting youth groups in the area and getting the young people to come with us into the slums. Many of them have never seen this part of their city so up close even though a huge part of the population lives in these conditions. Its so encouraging to see them step out and get into the heart of what God sees. I have been excited to see changes and have been really seeing God's faithfulness. COOL STORY....today we were praying for this little Mu.slim girl who has typhoid fever. She lives in the slum and was very sick last week as well. When we laid hands on her to pray she was burning up. I was so worried about how hot she was. As we were praying we could feel her cooling down! And after the prayer her temperature had lowered considerably! She slept during the prayer and was almost un-wakable but when we visited again a couple hours later, she was awake and alert and still cool. It was incredible! Praise God! We will continue to work and I ask for your prayers. I also need a bit of prayer for finances. I have been sick and have needed to visit the doctor so I am in need of a little extra this month. If you feel led to help out in anyway you can use my US Bank account # 153655438510 or any prayer will be very appreciated! I love and miss you all!






No comments: